Tuesday, November 27, 2012

10. The One with the book that might have changed my life...?

Here's the thing...I promised you another number checked off my list. It didn't happen. I blame myself. (And my sister, Mal...but I'll get to that.) My Thanksgiving break was very full and I just didn't have time to do the thing I was going to do. (I'll work on it, I promise.) I went home for a few days, which was lovely. I ate lots of food, did lots of shopping, watched Jumanji (holla!), made my mom blush in Menard's, and played an insane amount of euchre with my dad and sisters. Cards are a big thing in the DeLacy fam; I just recently jumped on the bandwagon and I. Love. It. When I wasn't doing all those things, I was busy getting hooked on "American Horror Story." Mal is a big fan of it, and thought I would like it so we watched the first episode...and the second, third and fourth. I can't stop watching...which is a problem, because it scares the shit out of me. Seriously. I'm fine when I'm watching it (in broad daylight, with a kitty on my lap) but later on, when my house is dark (like it is right now) and I hear something creaking (which happens all the time), I freak out that there's a ghost walking around in my attic. And I don't even believe in ghosts. I've managed to make it through all but two episodes of the first season, but that's all I'm going to watch. I don't think I can handle another season, even thought it's a crazy-good show. If you can handle scary (or even if you can't), I highly recommend it.

So, I read a book. It was excellent! But I'm unsure if it actually changed my life... One of my college friends, Ashley, recommended it to me. It's called "The Fault in Our Stars" by John Green. Without spoiling anything, it's about a girl named Hazel who has cancer, but thanks to a "miracle drug," her tumors are shrinking. Through her cancer support group, she meets a lovely guy named Augustus. The book basically follows their friendship, it's evolution into something else, and them dealing with their life circumstances. It was beautiful. I laughed, I cried, I felt their pain, I cheered at their victories. It was really a lovely read...but I don't know if it changed my life. It definitely gave me a different perspective on love. It made me even more thankful than I already was for my good health. It made me appreciate my parents even more (if that's even possible.) But changing my life? I'm just not sure. There weren't any bells. The sky didn't open up and God didn't yell down to me, "Your life is forever changed!" To those of you who have had your life changed by a book, how did you know it changed your life? How did you feel? When did you know? I need some help, blog readers. Please, please, please give a girl some help! I really want to cross this off my list, but I want to know that my life has been changed. So...go! Tell me everything...and suggest more books.

No comments:

Post a Comment