Sunday, January 13, 2013

8. The One I Can FINALLY cross off...

Happy New Year, blog readers! I hope that by this point, you've all recovered from your NYE shenanigans. Mine involved The Dark Knight, wine, Chex Mix, The Dark Knight Rises, and more wine. Holla! Probably one of the most excellent ways I've ever celebrated the New Year. At some point during The Dark Knight Rises, I started writing down my goals for 2013. I was fine with my list being the extent of my goals, but the list expires on March 19, which still leaves me with a lot of time to create some chaos. So I figured, what the hell? Let's set some goals.

1. I'm going to pay off SOMETHING this year. I'm still trying to figure out what (I've got a few choices...ha) but by December 31st, I'll have one less payment to figure into my budget.

2. I'm going to go out more. Yes, I'm 25 and this is one of my goals. If I'm not at work, I'm at home, but I want to make a point to get out and do more. Baseball games, martini bars, bowling, whatever. I just need to have more fun this year.

3. I'm going to run the Bix this year. And by run, I clearly mean, walk. For those of you not from this area, the Bix is a 7 mile race held every year at the end of July. People from all over come to run it. I've lived in the QC for almost eight years now, so I figure it's about time I participate.

4. I'm not settling this year. Take that as you will. But if I'm not feeling it, it's not happening.

5. I'm going to try to come up with a witty response to the popular "why are you not married/why don't you have kids/why do you hate happiness" questions.

So, it appears 2013 is going to be a busy year. I better stop procrastinating.

One thing I haven't procrastinated about? Number 8: Let my job just be "my job." If you don't remember this one or haven't been with me for that long, read about it here. There have been several times I was going to cross this one off, but I kept making myself hold out. It's a good thing I did, because as soon as I would have crossed it off, it would have gone back on the list. But then I got my ultimate test. As I mentioned a few posts ago, our show this year is going to be "The Wizard of Oz." It's a fitting choice because we have seven girls graduating this year. Seven. Seven girls that I've taught for three to six years and have gotten to know and care about quite a bit. Anyway, two summers ago, I was watching an episode of "So You Think You Can Dance" and there was a hip hop piece to a song called "Coming Home." I think I watched it about a hundred times in one day before deciding that I would be using that song if I ever did a Wizard of Oz recital. Fast forward two years, I'm doing that show, I'm using that song, my cast is AWESOME, and...I've set such high expectations for this piece that I can't choreograph it. Like, at all. I think I started it like 3-4 different times and ended up erasing it every time. Normally, starting over that many times a) wouldn't happen and b) wouldn't be a big deal if it did, but I started teaching this piece this past Tuesday. As in five days ago. I only had to teach half, and the first half is blocking so that worked out fine. But I have to teach the second half this Tuesday. I was pretty much panicking (quietly) and terrified (x10) that the piece wasn't going to get done, was going to suck, was going to be as bad as my Ghostbusters dance (the worst piece I've ever choreographed...I don't like to talk about it) and that, worst of all, both my dancers and I would just be disappointed. I hate to disappoint people. I'd rather have people angry at me than be disappointed. But I digress. Now, the Steph pre-list would have just spent my nights at home trying to work on choreography and watch endless hours of videos to inspire myself. But, I'm not allowed to do that...and didn't want to do that. So, I didn't. Ok, there was one night when I watched two videos right before bed (I was hoping I'd dream up some awesome choreography) but that was all. On Friday, I finished the piece, at work, and couldn't be happier with how it turned out. And that, my friends, was the ultimate test. That much pressure for one piece and I didn't cave. I didn't bring it home with me. I didn't give up my "me" time for work. Now, I can FINALLY cross it off the list. Not to say that I won't ever bring work things home with me...my job is one of my passions, and it's hard to keep your passion in just one place (that's what she said?) but I'm really going to do my best to leave work at work.

I am officially down to 65 days until my 26th birthday. 65 days to finish my list...

No comments:

Post a Comment