Thursday, June 14, 2012

6. Getting down to a size 6 with...Buffalo Chicken Chili

It's been one of those weeks. One of those "so tired I can't cook, clean or do anything besides lay on the couch" weeks. You know what I'm talking about. We just started our summer schedule at work, so for the next eight weeks, I'm teaching summer camps. I don't mind teaching summer camp, but for some reason, it's drained every ounce of my energy this week. Combine that with the fact that I haven't fully recovered from moving and recital, and you've got the laziest person on the face of the planet.

The highlight of my week has been my dancers coming to visit us at work! This is the first summer they've come in just to say hi and visit with us. And they've been bringing food! (Clearly, they know the way to my heart...) Tuesday, we got homemade chocolate chip cookies and today, cheese pizza. Perfection. I could get used to this...except for that wee little thing I've come to call "Ria's list." Oops...

I've made this recipe twice in the last five days because it's easy, delicious, and it counterbalances the treats at work.  I've been searching unsuccessfully for a chili recipe for an insanely long time. When I found this, I was giddy. Chili AND buffalo chicken? Pure heaven. Oh, and it's really healthy. Score.
I've altered this recipe from the blog I found it on to fit my needs. (I cut down on the amount it makes and took out the yucky tomatoes...bleh.) 

Buffalo Chicken Chili
Makes 4 servings

Ingredients
olive oil
one medium white onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
3 carrots, diced
1 can of cannellini beans, drained

Put about a tablespoon of olive oil in a deep skillet and heat.  Add onion and garlic; cook until translucent and fragrant.  Add the carrots; cook until soft. Add beans and mix well.

1 lb. ground chicken
1/2 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp paprika
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup Frank's buffalo sauce

While the veggies are cooking, saute chicken in another pot.  Add cumin, paprika, and chicken broth and cook until meat is cooking through. Do not drain!

Add chicken mixture to vegetable mixture and stir.  Stir in buffalo sauce and bring to a boil.*If you like more sauce in your chili, feel free to add more broth and buffalo sauce. Just keep the ratio 1:1.* Reduce heat and simmer over medium-low heat for 30-40 minutes. Serve with your favorite chili toppings or blue cheese. I like to use cheddar cheese and Saltines.



Now, I need to warn you. I have a big weekend planned and if I do everything I'm planning to, I may be writing two or even THREE blogs with NEW things to cross off my list. Yes, you heard that right. Get excited, people! 


1 comment:

  1. Looks yummy--you'll have to make that for one of our dinners together :)

    ReplyDelete