Monday, March 18, 2013

25. The One I'll Finally Share

When the list was born about a year ago, I had some hesitations with #25...and it was one that I asked for! Ria had asked if I had any requests, and I did. "Close on a house! Get down to a size 6! Grow a garden in my backyard! Oh, and meet the man of my dreams!" I was serious...kind of. I didn't really expect to meet the man of my dreams this year just because it was on my list, but hey, a girl can hope. For those of you who don't know me, or don't know me well, I have bad luck dating. Like BAD luck. I've seriously comtemplated writing a book about all the bad dates I've gone on. Anyway, there it was on the list. And, although I went on some dates, both good and bad (I mean seriously...who goes on an apple orchard date to an orchard with ZERO apples?! Only me...), I didn't meet him. 

Now before the pouring out of sympathy begins, stop. I don't want it. I'm not trying to be a bitch, but I seriously don't want it. I am perfectly ok being single. I know that some single folk say that and don't mean it, but I'm not one of them. I LIKE living alone. I LIKE not having to base my decisions around another person. I LIKE getting to spend my lack of money however I'd like. Do I want to be single forever? No. Absolutely not. I want to get married and I want to be a mom. But heading into my 26th birthday as a single lady is really not the worst thing in the world.  I just wish I could convince the world that...

Unless you're also 26 and single, you might not understand what I'm going to say next: advice to single folk is ALWAYS the worst. Even if intentions are good. That's why I initially said I didn't want to discuss #25. But, it's the end of the list, and why keep you all in suspense? Anyway, I hate when others try to give me love advice, or even worse, their viewpoint on my situation. Here are all things I've been told at some point in the past few years:

"I think you just don't want it bad enough. I mean, if you did, you'd be TRYING."

"You're trying too hard." Me: "Just because I want to get out more and put myself in a position to actually meet people?" "Yes! You're trying way too hard!"

"Maybe if you didn't let your cats sleep in your bed, you wouldn't be single right now..."

"I mean, maybe God wants you to be single forever."

"You spend too much time at work. I just don't think you'll ever meet anyone when you spend that much time at work." (Just to be clear, I work 40 hours a week. Oh my GOD!)

And, my personal favorite, in response to me not dating anyone...
"Have you ever looked into adoption? I mean, you might want to start, because you don't know how much longer your eggs will be good for."

Now thankfully, I can look at this list and giggle, without taking it to heart. I haven't met THE guy yet, and hey, maybe it IS because Stella and Charlee like to sleep with me. I mean, who could resist this face?!
 
But I digress. I'm not sad about being single. And I'm not sad that I didn't get to cross "meet the man of my dreams" off my list. (I mean, JGL had a terribly busy year. It's not my fault that he wasn't able to find me.) Instead, I'm putting my focus on the fact that I completed (almost) 24 things this year, by myself. Sure, I had some help here and there, and family support. But I purchased a house by myself. I know what that process is like now. I know how to do all my own yard work, because I've done it, not had someone else do it for me. I did these things on my own and I could not be prouder. So, I'm not sad. And I'm still going to cross "meet the man of my dreams" off my list. Because it's my list. And I can do what I want. :)
 
Tomorrow is the big day! My 26th birthday! Unfortunately, tomorrow is also the day where I work from 8:30am-9:15pm (with a lunch break...Bryan and I are getting some Red Robin...YUM!) so I won't have time to blog. But fear not! I have Wednesday morning free to blog about the last item I cross off and I will be doing a wrap-up post this weekend. Stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment