Wednesday, March 13, 2013

6. Getting down to a size 6...and the verdict is...

Ok, ok, I know I've been off the grid for over a week, which is NOT acceptable this close to "the end date." (If this list were a movie, I feel like that's what my birthday would be called: the end date. I like it.) I have no good excuse; I've been fussy for two weeks now for various reasons, but that has passed and I'm ready to update you on what I've been doing!

I decide awhile ago that I would do my final "size check-in" at least 10 days before my actual birthday. Because, let's face it, that will be the last thing on my mind as I stuff myself with birthday cake. Anyway, I needed to go shopping for a dress last week so that seemed like the perfect opportunity to check in. I went to Target and hit up the Prabal Gurung rack (if you've been living under a rock, that's their current designer section) and was immediately disappointed at the limited sizes. There was a dress I had my eye on for weeks, but it was only in a 6 or a 12. The 6 looked a little small, but I picked it up anyway. Then, I found another dress I loved, but that was only in an 8, 14, and 16, so I took the 8. I grabbed another 6 in a different style, and was ready to walk away when I saw a crazy cute black and white dress that screamed "Steph." So, I picked it up...and it was a 4. I put it back and headed for the dressing room, but halfway there, I turned around and grabbed the 4. I mean, why the hell not, other than the obvious reason of "there is no way in hell that I'm a size 4." I tried on one of the 8's first. I was assuming I'd be an 8, based off of the look of the dress. Surprisingly, it was a little big! I tried on the 6 in the dress I had planned to buy, but the chest area was too tight. I was really sad about that, since that dress had been THE dress. I tried on the other 6, which was a better fit, but I'm not a big fan of letting my ass hang out (literally and figuratively) so that was also a no. Which left me with one, lone size 4. I almost didn't try it on, but I needed a new dress so I pulled it over my head...and it went on. I put my arms in and didn't feel like I was going to die. So, the moment of truth...I zipped it....and I could still breathe. And move. And sit down. I fit into a size 4. I FIT INTO A SIZE 4!!! The heavens opened up, God dumped a shit ton of confetti on me, and every customer in Target paraded me out of the store. Then, Joseph Gordon-Levitt asked me to be his girlfriend. And I found $50.

Ok, so that last few things didn't happen, but the size 4 worked so I bought it and wore it and I love it! I still can't believe that it fit! I know that I'm not a size 4 everywhere (in fact, I'm not entirely sure that I can wear a size 6 pant yet), but I've made significant progress this year and that's what counts. I'm eating better, feeling healthier, and overall, enjoying life more. I know not everyone in my life was supportive of me counting my calories, but in all honesty, it made me much more aware of the crap I was eating and helped me make better food choices. I also bought myself some good walking shoes and have been trying to get to the mall once a week to walk for an hour with my friend, Erica. I've felt more energetic in my dance classes and have actually been sleeping better too. Huzzah! Of all the things on my list, this is one that I'm extremely proud of. Though it was definitely the most frustrating and the most difficult, it also was very rewarding. I am planning to wear the dress again this weekend (when I'm crossing another thing off my list...) so I will post some pictures after. We are down to six more days, people! Get excited.

2 comments:

  1. 1) I am excited to see this magical dress! Congratulations!
    2) It's so nice to know that all of our early morning walks are paying off. :) I, too, feel much healthier, and am so glad that you are my accountability buddy for strolling past all of the stores.

    Have a great rest of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go, Steph!! So proud of you for sticking with it!!

    ReplyDelete